NOTE: This building is no longer a Methodist Church: it was sold in June 2015 to The Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham (Catholic Anglicans!). It is now the ‘Ordinariate Church of Our Lady of Walsingham with St. Cuthbert Mayne, Chelston’.
The Union Street Wesleyan Chapel in Torquay decided that the growing district of Chelston needed a place of worship, and decided to establish a Society there. The first service in 1887 was held in a room over a stable in Walnut Road, then moving to a house called Mapledene. Richard Mallock granted them a lease on a plot of land where the now Chelston Methodist Church stands. It was opened in 1893 and comprised of a chapel and seating for 500 people.