The older part of the church was built of local red sandstone in the late 1800’s by William Kitson, and opened in 1928, when it was then handed over to the parish of St Marychurch. The interior of the church is light and airy.
There is a modern sound system, and a computer-driven projector for worship songs, and a band which includes piano, keyboard, guitars, flutes, clarinets and drums, plus the organ. The church hall is across the road from the church. See St John’s website.
We had a lovely afternoon and we were warmly greeted by
Ray Knowles, and Bob and Jenny Brennand. The ‘tea’ ladies did us proud and produced a marvellous spread of food and lovely home made cakes!
The two-manual organ is built by Brindley & Foster, dating from 1888. It was originally installed in Long Eaton Methodist Church in Derbyshire, and was installed in St John’s in 1963 by Henry Willis & Sons Ltd. Extra ranks (Swell Contra Oboe 16′ and Pedal Open Diapason 8′) were added when the instrument was installed in St John’s. The console is detached, with a concave radiating pedal board.
|Open Diapason 8||Stopped Diapason 8||Resultant Bass 32|
|Stopped Diapason 8||Gedackt 8||Major Bass 16|
|Duciana 8||Viol da gamba 8||Bourdon 16|
|Nason Flute 4||Fugara 4||Open Diapason 8|
|Principal 4||Mixture 15.19.22||Bourdon 8|
|Mixture 12.15||Trumpet 8||Bourdon 4|
|Contra Oboe 16||Contra Oboe 16|