St Saviour was built to save the people of the town from having the long walk or carriage drive up the steep hill to the church of St. Clement in Townstal.
The earliest organ was installed in 1434 and was incorporated into the new organ built by Paul Michaeu in 1531/32.
The present organ dates from 1789, and, like the previous ones, it was originally on the West gallery. By 1885 it was considered inadequate for the large Victorian congregation and in 1888 several organ builders were invited to tender for a new organ incorporating the original instrument. In 1889 the church selected the firm of Bryceson Bros. Ltd. to build the new organ, sitting it in the North Choir chapel, where it stands today.
The dark wood case with its unusual style ornate front, which faces into the chancel, is original, but of the approx. 2000 pipes, only approx. 180 are believed to be from the original organ. The three manuals are mechanical action and there is a good range of stops. The stop knobs are of ivory.
During the 1996 rebuild by Michael Farley, two new stops, a 4′ and an Ophicleide, were added to the pedal division. The pedal division is housed in the case built by Bryceson Bros. Ltd. that stands facing west on the red and gold coloured rood screen.