St Maurice – Plympton, PL7 1LP

In 1446 the parishioners successfully appealed to the Bishop of Exeter to have the tower made higher. The dedication of the church reverted to St. Maurice in 1538. Inside the church, the oak screen is a reproduction, carved by Alfred Moultrie of Tavistock, of the original screen, and incorporates some of the old fragments. The Jacobean oak pulpit stood, until 1846, on the stone base which forms part of a pillar in the nave and it is probable that a stone pulpit once stood there before that. The font and its cover are Victorian, but an early seventeenth century octagonal oak cover, with doors, can be seen near the north door.